Friday, October 19, 2012

Recommended Reading List

I've been wanting to post with some amazing books I've been reading in the last year or so.  Last summer our public library started an Adult's Summer Reading Program and the girls challenged me to do it.  I really love to read, but taking the time to do that is not something I have been good about.  Add on television and internet surfing and I really hadn't read much before that.  SO, I found some books to start reading, and each book seemed to lead to another book and now I've compiled a list of some great books!

Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo-This book is really great!  It's not too long and it's the story of a family's unlikely encounter with Heaven written in a really beautiful way.

7 An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker-I love reading the way Jen writes.  She is so funny, but she definitely challenges you to look at your life and why we do what we do along the way.  I seriously laughed out loud throughout this book and then decided to read Interrupted by Jen too and it was great to see what happened in her life before she wrote 7.

Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis-Wow!  This book is so amazing, as well as Katie's story.  Her whole life is just open to wherever God leads her, and he has already led her on an amazing journey.  I would recommend this inspiring story to anyone!!  You can also look into Amazima Ministries which is her foundation.

So, this started a whole set of Africa books (gee, I wonder why!):

It's Not Okay With Me by Janine Maxwell-This is a hard book to read.  It is one woman's amazing journey of falling in love with Africa, but it is very difficult to read the conditions of many of these children's lives.  It's truly unimaginable, but we all need to have awareness and step (or jump) out of our  comfort zone to truly care for others.

Father To The Fatherless: The Charles Mulli Story by Paul H. Boge and Bruce Wilkinson-The story of Charles Mulli was brought up quite a bit in Janine Maxwell's book, and it is an amazing story!  He was abandoned as a child by his family, gave his life to God as a teenager and made a wonderful life for himself and then ended up giving it all up to devote his life to helping street children in the same situation that he was in.  Our family is even planning to use the Charles Mulli House as our Advent Conspiracy project this year!

So, there's a start if you need a new book to pick up!  I have many more that I'm working on (Grace Based Parenting, Simplicity Parenting, A Place At The Table, Crazy Love and of course all of the Feingold information) and even more that I have on my want to read list (Too Small To Ignore, GRACE, The Connected Child, Barefoot Church, etc.).

As an update to my job quitting, as of early this week, it looked like I was going to be staying on for a few more months, but then as of this afternoon, I may already have replacements for one job!  It will all happen in God's perfect timing.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33






No comments:

Post a Comment