Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I didn't think it would be so hard to leave my job.  I know I only work part time, and on the flip side I know that it's been a part of my life for 10 years.  It's the relationships I've built that are hard to say good bye to.  I told all of my students this week and many of them were upset or sad or even angry at me.  One of my students tonight came in and I knew she was upset, so I asked her if she was mad at me.  She said that she wasn't as long as I would be coming back at least by next year.  I said I probably wasn't, so she said that yes she was mad at me then.  :)

My problem is that I get really attached to kids.  God made me a caretaker by nature which makes me good at some things, but not so good at letting go.  I hope this will make me a good adoptive mom.  I think it would make me a bad foster mom, but some of my wonderful friends who do foster probably have just as hard of a time letting each precious child go, especially if it is to a less than great situation.  

Someone told me today not to doubt in the dark what you are sure of in the light.  So I won't.  I know that it's the season to let this job go, so I will.  It will be hard to say goodbye, but isn't it always?  I have to focus on what I am saying hello to instead of focusing on what (and who) I am saying good bye to.  

I heard the song, "All Things Possible" by Mark Shultz tonight as I was driving home.  

Even when it feels like my heart is breaking
Hold on, there is strength
Knowing I belong to the One who’s making
All things possible

I know mountains can move
I’ve seen what You can do
In my weakness
So my heart will believe
If I wait I will see
My God doing, what only He can do

My God is strong and mighty
My God is faithful
My hope is in the Lord
For He is able


Look it up.  It's a great song.  It's uplifting and reminds you of the strength and power of God.  Our future children are going to have to say good bye to their country, their comfort that they have known, their caregivers, etc in addition to whatever else they have had to say good bye to in their lives.  I have faith that God can use me to remind them that all things are possible.  

But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”   Matthew 19:26

No comments:

Post a Comment